The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is the uniformed, all volunteer component of the United States Coast Guard. The US Coast Guard Lake Gaston Flotilla serves the Lake Gaston area of North Carolina and Virginia. We are an all-civilian organization that serves the boating public through public education, vessel safety checks, and water patrols.
Some of our duties include the following:
• Search and Rescue Operations to aid distressed boaters.
• Advising boaters of safety issues concerning them and their boats, stressing Virginia and North Carolina legal and common sense requirements.
• Performing Safety Checks of boats.
• Supporting Virginia and North Carolina Aids To Navigation (ATON) programs by reporting missing or damaged buoys.
• Supporting our environmental program by removing debris from the lake and reporting oil or chemical spills to local authorities.
• Assisting local agencies who sanction regattas, on the water competition, and public displays such as the July 4 fireworks. We also maintain a radio watch on VHF Channel 16 while the patrol is on the water.
The Lake Gaston Flotilla meets on the second Tuesday of each month, at 6:30 pm. Meetings are held at Longbridge VFD, 1678 Eaton Ferry Road, Littleton, NC 27850. The public is welcome to attend!
VESSEL SAFETY CHECKS
As a courtesy to the boating public, we perform Vessel Safety Checks (VSC) to help you keep your boat safe. This consists of a review of safety equipment on your boat or PWC. Our equipment list is usually above and beyond what is required by most state boating laws. The results of the VSC are told only to you - there is no penalty for failing - it is a learning experience so you can enjoy your boating in a safer manner. If your boat passes the VSC, you get a decal to display on your boat. Many insurance companies offer discounts on boat insurance to individuals whose boats pass this check.
America's Boating Course is an eight hour course covering the basics of boating and is appropriate for youth as well as the adult boater. Successful completion of this course satisfies the education requirement for youth to operate a PWC in both Virginia and North Carolina. Remember: Virginia now has a law that all boaters in the waters of Virginia will have to show proof of taking a Boating Course. North Carolina Law effective 1 Jan of 2014 requires that all PWC and Motor Boat Operators born after 1 Jan 1988 will have proof of taking a Boating Course, if they are operating a vessel with with an 10 HP engine or greater. The fee for the course is $30. Preregistration is required. Courses are taught at the Longbridge VFD, located at 1678 EatonFerry Road, Littleton, NC 27850. All classes are from 8:00am to 5:00pm, with the exam given at the end of class. Boating certification is good in Any State in the U.S. Please bring your lunch - sodas, water, snacks available for purchase. - Preregistration and $30 Prepayment are required.
For more information on these Classes, or to Register, please contact the Flotilla at 252-535-3335 or email@example.com.